The Bottom Line
The honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 Deluxe is an easy to use USB Capture Device for recording Analog Video (VHS, VHS-C, 8mm, HI-8) to your PC and Burning to DVD, all with one application. A very inexpensive way to get your old videotapes onto DVD in the easiest way possible. Includes new features, such as recording to iPod or PSP and Audio Recording from Tapes and LPs to Audio CD. Those who want a higher quality recording from Digital and HD Camcorders are better served using a Set-Top DVD Recorder with a Firewire Input.
- Easy Analog Video Capture to PC with USB Capture Device
- Beginner and Advanced Modes
- Capture, Edit and Burn to DVD with the Included Software
- Both S-Video and Composite Inputs
- Easy Setup and Use
- No Composite or S-Video Cables Included
- Higher quality recording options available
- Convert VHS Tapes or any Analog Video to DVD
- S-Video and RCA Composite Video Input, Stereo Audio Input
- USB 2.0 Device requiring no external power supply
- For Beginners a One Touch Easy Wizard Mode to Capture Video and Burn a DVD
- For Advanced Users Capture, Edit and Burn to DVD with customizable options
- Support for PSP, iPod, and WMV formats - Allows you to watch the captured video on Sony PSP, iPod, and other devices.
- Music Conversion - Record audio from cassettes, LP records, or video tapes.
- MP3 and audio CD creation - Create MP3 files or burn audio CD with recorded audio.
- Add pictures to your DVD or create a photo slide show.
- Support for Dual-Layer DVD
Guide Review - Product Review of the honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 Deluxe
The honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 Deluxe is a Video Capture device that plugs into your PC via a USB port. It includes an adapter cable for connecting S-Video or RCA Composite Video and Stereo Audio to the device. You can then connect any analog video source (VCR, 8mm Camcorder, DVD Player, etc.) that outputs S-Video or Composite video/audio to the honestech VHS to DVD 3.0, and it is recorded to your computer's hard drive using the included video capture software. Installing the honestech USB Video Capture Device was very simple, with step-by-step instructions. Simply connect the device to a USB port and Windows will detect the new hardware. From there you install the necessary drivers from the disc. In addition, you install the Video Capture software included in the box. The software itself comes in two modes, a beginner's mode using a wizard to capture video and record a DVD, and an advanced mode for capturing, editing and burning DVDs with more customization. The VHS to DVD 3.0 version includes new features not present in the VHS to DVD 2.0 version which I reviewed previously
. Support for recording your captured video to PSP or iPod, Add Pictures to your DVD, Recording from audiotape and LPs to Audio CD, and support for burning to Dual-Layer DVD. The recording quality using composite cables is okay, it's best if you can use the S-Video cables, which give a better overall recording when played back on a DVD player. While you can get a higher quality recording by connecting your analog video source to a set top DVD Recorder, the honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 is inexpensive, very easy to use, and gives you both analog video capture and DVD Burning capability with one application.